Ashley

Ashley
a picture from Galveston last year...

Monday, September 27, 2010

An experiment in frozen broccoli

Note: I will not call this a casserole...there's a stigma attached to this word that really weirds me out. Don't get me wrong. Anything smothered in cheese and baked for 45 minutes has got some real potential at being delicious! I do have reservations, however, when "A CAN OF..." anonymous-soup is included in the ingredients.



This was also an entry into experimenting with frozen vegetables. Budgets being tight, I'm trying out some new ideas to make our grocery budget stretch. I do believe that given proper treatment, the frozen veggies have their place at any dinner table. Fresh is always great, but not always economical, especially with the fall and winter months upon us.



What I came up with last night, we'll call a BROCCOLI CHEESE BAKE. The flavors were outrageously good, balance was spot on, and it complimented the slow roasted pork I had been cooking all day beautifully well. I hope some of you will try this EVER-so-EASY recipe!!



BROCCOLI CHEESE BAKE


  • 1 large bag frozen broccoli

  • 1/2-1 cup crumbled cornbread (I had this leftover...you could use any old bread you want to make breadcrumbs out of, but the cornbread provided a sweet and delicious binding agent. I used the equivalent of 2 smallish pieces.)

  • 3/4 cup sharp cheddar

  • 1/4 cup parmesan (or other white cheese)

  • 1 cup rice

  • 1 T salt

Mix all of the above and pour into a prepared (sprayed with Pam) 2" casserole dish, with lid.



  • Mix together 1 can evaporated milk and 1 cup stock (I used chicken) and pour over the contents of your "non"-casserole.

Bake in a preheated 350degree oven for 30-40 minutes covered. Uncover and continue to bake an additional 10-15 minutes, or until golden on top. (Your rice is probably going to need at least 45 minutes to completely cook.)


Let me know if you try this recipe or come up with any clever variations!!


May your eats be delicious and your dinners divine!!

-Ashley

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Ashley, can you include pics with your recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY!! I'm going to try and be more diligent about pictures... Most of them are posted on my Facebook page, Ashley's Cooking Page. Thanks for reading!! -A-

    ReplyDelete